If you live in an older home, your outlets may only have two prongs instead of three. Most modern appliances have the third prong, which can pose a problem for homeowners.
Two-prong outlets, which can’t provide enough power, can cause fuses to blow. Many devices or appliances plugged in simultaneously can increase the risk of blowing. This is true for energy-intensive fixtures like refrigerators because fuses can easily overload.
Old-fashioned outlets are especially prone to power surges. The third prong of modern plugs serves as a connection to the ground wire in your home electrical system. This grounding conductor protects homes from surges of power.
Wiring in older homes often doesn’t meet today’s safety standards. This old wiring, known as “knob-and-tube” wiring, was standard until the 1930s. These outdated systems are prone to failure and can even electrify the wood in your home.
It may be difficult for the average homeowner to tell if their house is full of old wiring. Warm outlets, loose plugs and switches, and flickering of power can be symptoms of outdated wiring that is in need of replacement.